Monday, September 22, 2008

Ferrell's Snappy Service



I have been thinking about my family lately. My Mom was one of six kids, five girls and one boy born over sixty years ago on a farm in Morton's Gap, KY.
The closest "city" is Madisonville.

Founded in 1807 and named for James Madison, the fourth President of the United States, this city has grown to be the home for over 19,000 people. Madisonville is located in the heart of Western Kentucky (49 miles south of Evansville, Indiana; 104 miles northwest of Nashville, Tennessee; and 153 miles southwest of Louisville, Kentucky) making this community attractive for economic development opportunities and weekend visitors. The town is served directly by the Pennyrile Parkway, US Hwy 41 and 41A, and Kentucky Highways 70 and 85, making it easily accessible to all travelers.

Sometime in the 1990's I ran a crew operating Morton's Gap. At some point I will share some truly unbelievable stories about my time in Western Kentucky. Today just a dive Diner tale "Ferrell's Snappy Service" Ferrell's is more than a hamburger joint - it is history for all locals.

My Grandfather a farmer/ Coal Miner took my Mother to eat at this place as a girl. My Uncle Tommy took me as a teen while on vacation from Chicago. And I sent my crew to bring back sacks of greasy food during my time in "The Gap!"

The place is tiny. A friendly old boy or gal takes your order - "dressed with all the fixin's." Then you take a seat on one of the 15 diner stools in the restaurant.


In a one-square-foot space of wooden cutting board, a woman pats out raw ground beef, pull apart lettuce, slice tomato, and dress hamburger buns. Smashes and screes the patty on the grill. There is little to no hand-washing. A bag of fries and a flat fountain Pepsi and you are on your way! The stuff is good and has never killed a single Hillbilly that I know of...

Ferrell's is a small hometown diner where you can just sit and chat over good food and leisurely conversation if you don't know anybody in town go to Ferrell's you will get to know some people pretty quickly they prepare the food right in front of you and the food is served piping hot.

No comments: